The Heirloom Vineyards Alcala McLaren Vale Grenache was produced from our best McLaren Vale Vineyard whose clones and viticulture embody the very best in cutting edge but old school viticulture and winemaking. Hand tended vines, whole-bunch fermented, basket pressed and stored in French oak barrels from bespoke coopers.
The plushness and generosity of the grenache fruit is brilliantly displayed across the palate, but it is also brilliantly offset by plating tannins and an in-and-out running acidity. All of these qualities crash balletically together at the end of the palate, as if a well-practised circus troupe: cherried fruits, puckering tannins, and piquant acidity. Whole bunch extended maceration, integrated and balanced with fruit.
This wine is suitable for vegans.
Pair the Alcala McLaren Vale Grenache with Moroccan Spiced Pitas by Gavin Sutherland. Find the recipe here.
Video of Rosie Signer discussing Alcala McLaren Vale Grenache
Click here for Tasting Note
"A bright and clear medium ruby colour. Lavender, blue fruits and smoked-meats on the nose. The palate is medium to full-weighted, smoked and charred meats, blackberries and dried herbs wash throughout. A well-built interplay of bright acid and savoury tannins gives a sense of tension, which in turn runs it long into the finish. Still all very primary so give it some cellar time for now."
- China Wine & Spirits Awards 2021 - Double Gold Medal
- Royal Perth Wine Awards 2021 - Gold Medal
- Wine Pilot, Ken Gargett – 95 Points
- James Suckling - 92 Points
- Winemaker Challenge International Wine Challenge (USA) 2021 - Gold Medal, 92 Points
- Critics International Wine Challenge (USA) 2021 - Gold Medal, 91 Points
- The Real Review, Stuart Knox - 92 Points